Thursday, September 30, 2010

Shaking Off The Dust

The twins are now 3 1/2, if you can believe it.

In some respects, it feels like it has been for.ev.er since they were born; and in other respects, I can't believe how quickly it's gone.  I was only just getting the hang of parenting twins when we found out (unexpectedly) that I was pregnant with Nathan, and in the blink of an eye I was, quite suddenly, a mother to three children under the age of 2.  Add a full-time job into the mix and, well, you can imagine how the last few years have seemed a little foggy.

I don't know how to say it other than to say that I feel like I'm slowly waking up from a long nap.  Things seem brighter, and happier somehow.  I am enjoying spending time with my children, and laughing with them, rather than constantly changing them and feeding them and rocking them to sleep and worrying about whether or not I was giving them enough attention.  

And I don't think I'm the only one that is noticing.  The kids seem happier lately.  (And by happy I mean they are only screaming, crying, and fighting 75% of the time, instead of 90%).  Michael surprised me with flowers today...a token of affection that I haven't seen in years (not that he's not affectionate....but we have definitely felt too busy and overwhelmed for any romantic gestures).  And colleagues at work have been so complimentary lately, too. I can't tell you how happy this makes me, since three and a half years ago my post-partum depression was so bad that I felt I would never be happy again.

I know I still have many busy years ahead.  But I certainly appreciate how far I've (WE'VE) come.  :)

0 witty remarks:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...