Sunday, June 8, 2008

Full Disclosure

When I was trying to get pregnant, and having major fertility issues, many friends and acquaintances offered me well-meaning (read: very annoying) advice.

To wit:
Have you considered adoption?
This one was my absolute favorite. I felt like they were saying: Aren't you ready to give up on yourself yet? Because you know, it's pretty selfish to want your own. There are so many children out there who need a good home.

Maybe if you just RELAX.
Like I could relax myself into ovulating.

Is the problem with you or Michael?
People always needed to place blame. Like it wasn't BOTH of our problems that I couldn't conceive.

I heard if you eat too much soy/chocolate/fat (insert food here) or too little soy/chocolate/fat (insert food here), it affects your fertility.
Maybe I should try drinking a milkshake a day to see if that helps. I think I could swing that.

My sister/friend/cousin/boss's daughter tried for years to get pregnant, and finally adopted (or had IVF). Lo and behold, after that she got pregnant on her own. That could happen to you!
I probably should have paid closer attention to that last one. Baby #3 arrives in December. And no, I'm not kidding. Lord help us all!

P.S. If you are a good friend of mine, and are just finding out this news now, over my blog...I apologize. I've been too shocked/overwhelmed/weepy/nauseous/exhausted to make a big hooplah about it. But call me!

10 comments:

  1. THAT IS SO EXCITING!
    I am so very happy for all 4 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let the real games begin. I see a valid reason for having a milk shake a day! In support of you I too will enjoy a lot of ice cream this summer.

    Congrats and keep me posted. And really, do you honestly need sleep?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Amy, I am so happy for you! Can't wait to meet the new little baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLY CRAP! Amy!!!!!! Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, Amy!
    I can SOO relate to your list of advice that should never be given :-O I always said I should get a "top ten answers to your questions" shirt and wear it when we were out and about with the kids.

    BTW, I'm helping a soon-to-be triplet mommy who also has a 10-month old. I'd say given both situations, having the multiples first is more helpful ;-)

    PS. Now you'll need another 'ip' word for your blog name...how about 'hiccup'???

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I haven't read your blog in awhile...I was really missing BIG news! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...