Tuesday, October 16, 2007

S-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g

Back in May, I blogged about how Gavin always had his hands balled up in tight fists. I was worried, because he never seemed relaxed, and I was too tired at that point to consider that Gavin might actually grow and consequently his muscles might develop. I think back about that now and smile. I was so overwhelmed and sleep-deprived that I couldn't imagine any of this ever getting any easier, and it was that very thought that launched me into a pretty intense, er, funk.

I'm happy to report that these days I'm often funk-free. Tired, yes, but funk-free. Gavin qualified for physical therapy, so this lovely lady named Debbie comes out every other week to work with him. She shows me some stretches and massage that we can do to reduce his increased muscle tone. And it seems to be working! When we began a month ago, Gavin wasn't pulling his knees up to his chest, which is essential for crawling. After a few weeks of therapy, he's pulling those knees up like a champ. Pre-therapy, he was noticing his hands, but they always seemed to be clenched. Just this week he's been examining his outstretched hands, much to my delight.

I worried originally that this rigidity indicated something about his personality; that he was going to be a serious, uptight boy because he was always so tense. (I would have loved him anyway, mind you!) To my surprise, he is growing into an easy-going, relaxed baby. He smiles often, giggles a lot, and seems downright tickled at the busy world around him.

You're going to have to take my word for it, though. I've been trying to find a photo of Gavin to post here, just so I can show you how relaxed and open-handed he is. Alas, almost every photo I find shows Gavin tight-fisted and tense. Ah, the irony.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy,
    I haven't read your blog in awhile, but I wanted to see how the kids were doing so I stopped in :-) They look great, by the way!
    I just happened to read down a few posts to the one about the RSV shots and your insurance issues.....God knew I needed to stop in to check on you so I could read that and let you know that we went through the same situation when the triplets were 1 1/2....zero coverage for the shots and our dr. was pretty adamant about getting them (esp. since we had people coming over to help several days a week.) Anyway, our pedi nurse just "happened" to attend a luncheon with a rep from the RSV drug company who just "happened" to tell her about a program for families who are under-insured and in need of certain drugs. And one of those drugs just "happened" to be Synagis. We did the paperwork and qualified for the program and were covered for several thousand dollars toward the cost of the meds. We still had a chunk to pay, but it was doable with the money from the fund. If you're interested, let me know and I'll dig out the paperwork. Maybe getting the shots during the worst months for the virus would be worth it. Let me know!
    Jen Gunning

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...