Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day

It was very surreal for me to wake up on Mother's Day morning. For the past three years, Mother's Day has been difficult. It was a reminder of all of the meds, shots, procedures, etc... that I was dealing with, as well as a reminder that I didn't know whether or not I was ever going to become a mother. But yesterday was different. I woke up excited, like you do on Christmas morning. Michael and my family made a big fuss over it being my first Mother's Day, and even though I had a total of maybe four hours of fragmented sleep, I was feeling happy. Peaceful, even.

It's difficult to hold on to that feeling of peace when the babies are going through their nightly "colicky" time. Juggling two screaming babies AND trying to eat dinner is a challenge. Last night I scarfed down a slice of pizza while rocking Gavin and watching the Sopranos, and royally burnt the roof of my mouth in the process. Not much of a multi-tasker. But despite the sleep deprivation, the hunger pangs, and all the crying (from both the babies AND their mother), I've never been more content. There's nothing quite like the feeling I get when one of the babies is crying, and I pick him* up and put him against my chest, and he lets out a deep, satisfied sigh. It's almost like he's saying, "There you are, Mommy. What took you so long?"

On another note, I am becoming a master at one-handed typing, In fact, I composed this entire post with one hand while holding Gavin. (Michael always winds up with Charlotte, as she is more easily consoled. Doesn't seem fair, does it?)

Anyway, I hope all of you had a wonderful Mother's Day. You deserve it.

* Or her, depends on who is screaming the loudest.

1 comment:

  1. I think I was almost as excited for your first Mother's day as you were! I'm glad you enjoyed it, burnt mouth and all.
    Love you!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...