Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Healing Power of Touch

I had a massage on Saturday. It was a gift from two of my sisters for my birthday, and Lordy, did I need it. It was only the second massage I've ever had--unless you count the time Michael and I had a "Couples Massage" in Negril. (That massage was outdoors, in an open-air gazebo that happened to be on a nude beach, atop a cliff overlooking the ocean. It was incredibly picturesque, but I was feeling uncomfortable about disrobing in front of the 100 or so other beach-goers. I also had a few cocktails the night before, so I was feeling a little...queasy. And I had just read an article about how some people believe that, if your masseuse is in a bad or negative mood during your massage, they can steal your positive "chi." I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I was naked and queasy, so I knew I didn't want my positive chi stolen. So about 5 minutes into the hour-long massage I told the masseuse I wasn't feeling well, got dressed, and went to lie down in our hotel room. Of course, Michael stayed for the entire hour, and of course, I was charged for the entire hour.)

All that aside, this massage was pure heaven. I felt so calm and relaxed afterwards, and it got me thinking about other things that make me feel that way. A happy baby (better yet, two happy babies). Soaking in the hot tub. A nice glass of red wine. A hot cup of peppermint mocha. Girls' Night Out. A good shoe sale.

I think a challenge as a mother is how to get yourself to that point, a calm and centered place, as often as you can. Ultimately, I think you become a better mother for it, and a better person for that matter. I'm not big on resolutions (I hate the New Year and all it entails, but that's another post), but I think this year I'm at least going to try to focus on activities that help me attain that calm, relaxed state. So if you see me stressing, help a sista out! Let me know some of your tricks that relax and center you.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what chi is, either, but if it's positive, I think I want to keep mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there's nothing better than an afternoon nap...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...